Friday 3 February 2017

Mac DeMarco- 'This Old Dog' & 'My Old Man' Review

Mac Demarco- ‘This Old Dog’ & ‘My Old Man’

Ahead of the release of his 4th studio album ‘This Old Dog’, due to be released on 5th of May, indie slacker-rock leader Mac DeMarco has returned with two brand-new singles entitled ‘This Old Dog’ & ‘My Old Man’.



‘This Old Dog’ is typical DeMarco with its dreamy, uber-relaxed vibe and shaggy vocals. A romantic ode reminiscent of ‘Still Together’ from ‘2’, ‘This Old Dog’ successfully transports the listener into a dreamlike, fantasy state that hooks you in as it jangles along its relatively short running. Demarco has never been a fantastic lyricist, and his stripped-back approach to writing music is one of the reasons he has achieved such a strong following. And this raw method of music has certainly proved effective on ‘This Old Dog’, creating big hype regarding his new LP.


‘My Old Man’ is a subtle difference in sound. Revolving itself around a simple electro beat, the swooning, deep vocals of Demarco paired with the electro beat and the oscillating guitar chords reverberates around the listeners eardrums. Personally, the song does not draw me in as much as ‘This Old Dog’, the contant repetition of “Uh oh, looks like I’m seeing more of my old man in me” does become tiresome rather quickly. However, you can’t take anything away from Demarco, he’s stuck to what he does best and his new record is bound to impress his increasingly huge fanbase.

Listen to 'This Old Dog' here & 'My Old Man' here!

No comments:

Post a Comment